There are several key development opportunities in the community: the PEI #3 (Industrial Park), Strait Crossing Inc. (SCI) fabrication yard lands and other parcels of land owned by private developers which should be developed based on private sector initiatives in keeping with the Plan including the expansion of agricultural operations. Each of these locations offers an opportunity for redevelopment, and thus increasing the tax base of Borden-Carleton and the employment opportunities for residents. On-going discussion and negotiations with the Province of PEI and Strait Crossing Inc. on the future of the SCI fabrication yard lands are on-going. Specifically, SCI has been aggressively pursuing a purchaser(s) for the dormant fabrication yard lands. Recent discussions with the Province and SCI have highlighted a range of future development interests for this important site. Expressions of interest have included a mixed use residential development, alternative energy generation industries, and aggregate removal and shipping opportunities. Therefore, Borden-Carleton will require a detailed secondary plan for the SCI fabrication yard lands as part of its comprehensive area designation in advance of an approved development agreement and approved building permit.
- To examine new opportunities for growth in the community which will increase the tax base and provide employment opportunities for residents.
- To continue to negotiate with the Province of PEI, Strait Crossing Inc. and appropriate private developers on the future of the SCI fabrication yard lands to ensure efficient and effective redevelopment which is in the best interests of the community.
- Borden-Carleton shall explore opportunities with the Province of PEI, Strait Crossing Inc. and appropriate private developers for enhanced linkages between PEI #1 (Gateway Village) and the community.
- Borden-Carleton shall provide input when consulted by the Province on any development prior to approval regarding the development of PEI #3 to assist in establishing the parameters for these projects.
- Borden-Carleton shall continue negotiations with the Province of PEI, Strait Crossing Inc. and appropriate private developers on the future of the former SCI fabrication yard lands.
- Borden-Carleton shall require a future development concept plan for the SCI fabrication yard lands with a detailed secondary plan process.